My name is Kyle and I am a lover of all things casseroles AND learning to love the joy of Crock-Pot'ting in 2013!
I just blew my own mind, imagine this…making a casserole in the Crock-Pot!!!!! If you have a recipe send it over!
This dish was super tasty, easy and quick to make - a perfect casserole. And this is the second casserole where you are basically making the cream of chicken, so it can be extra creamy. The last instruction was to use it in the boiler, I didn’t. I made the casserole and cooked it later, so I just cooked it for 20 at 350.
Note: If you are looking for an extra “saucy” casserole this may not work for you, it is good and tasty but not a ton of sauce, like some people in my house enjoy.
- 12 ounces penne pasta
- 1 pound ground lean turkey
- 1 chopped red onion
- 3 diced serrano peppers
- 1 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces light cream cheese
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Coat a 9X13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. Preheat the broiler.
- In a large pot of lightly salted, boiling water, cook the penne pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat a large 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add turkey to the pan with the diced onions, serrano peppers and 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring to break up the meat into small pieces, until the meat is cooked through. Drain excess grease from the meat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, another minute or so. Sprinkle the flour over the meat mixture, stirring to combine, and cook for 1-2 minutes over medium heat. Add the cream cheese in pieces, scattering it over the meat. Let it melt into the meat and stir to combine. Whisk or stir in the milk, 3/4 teaspoon salt and tomatoes. Stir to combine well and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook 5-6 minutes until the mixture is slightly thickened and is thoroughly heated through.
- Stir in the pasta and spoon the pasta mixture into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese evenly over the pasta and broil for about 3-5 minutes (watching carefully so it doesn’t burn!). Let it stand fora bout 5 minutes before serving.